Configuring DNS

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Dec 29 20:24:54 UTC 2005

Geoffrey Leach:
> I wish to add a secondary DNS server. Adding the IP address to the DNS
> section in system-config-network appears to work, but after saving the
> config and rebooting, the newly-added IP address has vanished.

Ankush Grover:
> dns entries are stored in /etc/resolv.conf file
>
> enter the values again through system-config-network and then check
> the file /etc/resolv.conf

Such settings can disappear if your dial-up/ISP-connect scripts rewrite
your resolv.conf file with name server addresses discovered from your
ISP.

If so, and you never want to use their's, you can configure your dial-up
script not to update the resolf.conf file.  I seem to remember that the
wvdial man file(s) detailed how to do that.

I read messages from the public lists.