FC4 Users?

alan alan at clueserver.org
Fri Dec 30 17:10:40 UTC 2005

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> Is FC4 a fully working and stable release?  Should I be upgrading
> to FC5 (is it rawhide?) because it is more stable or better or has
> neato features or what?
>
> Since FC5 does not yet have a "stable release", should I wait?

FC 4 is pretty good.  Make sure you have the bandwidth to get all the
patches.  (How much depends on how many packages you install.) I would
consider it "stable".  (As much as it gets in the Fedora world. More
stable than a few other distros I have used.)

FC 5 is not ready for production use.  The installer on FC5T1 is minimal
at best and does not install all the expected packages.  The upgrade from
FC5T1 to current Rawhide is a bit brutal and does not have quite all the
dependancies worked out.  (Especially in Extras.) There are also some odd
breakage in various places.  (Mouse cursors are gone, some odd crashes in
a couple of places, etc.)

--
"George W. Bush -- Bringing back the Sixties one Nixon at a time."