Man pages

Jonathan Underwood j.underwood at open.ac.uk
Fri Dec 30 17:14:52 UTC 2005

Joao Paulo Pires wrote:
> Man pages - Each time I try get some help from man pages I get
> disappointed. Wich is the proper way to learn some more from console?
> If I call --help I just get confused. Am I dummy? I think the first
> way to learn should be the man pages. I can imagine this is a basic
> need for a newbie. TIA, Joao. ____________________________________ A
> minha patria é a lingua portuguesa

I recommend the following book to get you started using Linux. There are
many others, and everyone will have a favourite, but I have recommended
this to a number of students who have been highly pleased with it:

A Practical Guide to Linux Commands, Editors, and Shell Programming
Mark G. Sobell
ISBN: 0131478230

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0131478230/qid=1130756170/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/202-2767938-3688665