Configuring Fedora Core 4 & USB Flash drives?

tlhackque tlhackque at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 31 16:55:55 UTC 2005

OK, here's fstab.  Vanilla - untouched by human hands.
 This IS with the
drive in & (manually) mounted.  So fstab-sync isn't
making a "managed" entry
for some reason.

Not clear how to make an entry, as drives seem to get
different sd? names
assigned.  Wouldn't mind the blue drive always being a
certain mount point.
Of course, some are vfat, some aren't - so "auto"
would be the fstype of
choice.

Doesn't matter if the mount point exists or not.

So is the "USB Flash Driver" in your rule a generic
answer for all USB Flash
devices, or is it a function of the specific
model/mfgr that one plugs in?
That is, do I have to connect "LEXAR BLAH" to that
driver for this part of
configuration to work?  (Some part of the connection
is made since maual
mounts work.)

Looking at the reference material - wow!  Infinitely
flexible, but all I
wanted was to just plug in my drive and have it work.
Looks like I have a
lot of digging to do (and yet another scriping
language to learn.)  Thanks
for the pointer; I guess I'll figure it out.

#cat /etc/fstab
# This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man
fstab-sync' for details
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /                       ext3
  defaults        1 1
LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3
 defaults        1 2
none                    /dev/pts                devpts
 gid=5,mode=620  0 0
none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs
 defaults        0 0
none                    /proc                   proc
 defaults        0 0
none                    /sys                    sysfs
 defaults        0 0
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap                    swap
  defaults        0 0
/dev/fd0                /media/floppy           auto
pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
/dev/hdc                /media/cdrecorder       auto
pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
/dev/hda                /media/cdrom            auto
pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0

This communication may not represent my employer's
views,
if any, on the matters discussed.