Yum in cron confusion?

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed Feb 2 17:19:42 UTC 2005

William John Murray wrote:
>   Hello FC3 users,
>         I am confused by yum in cron, it doesn't seem to work for me.
>
>   If I "/sbin/chkconfig --list yum" I see:
> yum             0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
> which looks good.  There is a file '/etc/cron.daily/yum.cron' (which if
> I run it interactively seems to update yum.)
>
> /var/log/cron was run at 4am, but there is no sign of it having done
> anything at all. Certainly my system was not updated, but where should
> it leave any error messages? I can add debug by hand of course, but it
> is a very slow turnaround, and surely there must be a log file
> somewhere?

If you change the "-R 10" and "-R 120" options in
/etc/cron.daily/yum.cron to "-R 1", the script will run much more quickly.

Yum should log packages installed and updated in /var/log/yum.log

If you run "yum update" manually up to the point where it says "is the
OK?" (you can say "no" whilst experimenting), does it complain about any
missing dependencies?

>  I found a top about timing on: http://aaltonen.us/archive/2004/10/
> which requires a file /etc/cron.daily/yum which I do not have. Is
> my installation defective?

I doubt it; maybe the /etc/cron.daily/yum was a typo.

Paul.