100% Linux - Is it possible?

David Curry dsccable at comcast.net
Wed Feb 2 21:55:51 UTC 2005

Pete Choppin wrote:

> I was just looking for a consensus on this...
>
> I have been working with Fedora Core 3 for the past month.  My new
> years resolution was to learn Linux.  So far, so good.
>
> I created a dual-boot Fedora / Windows XP.  I am now seriously
> considering going completely 100% Linux and dumping my Windows
> partition entirely.
>
> The question is - can you live completely without Windows, or do you
> sooner or later have to resort to Windows again?
>
> --
> Pete

You've had lots of good responses to your question, Pete.  The consensus
is,

Tchnically - Yes!  Practically, it depends on the user and the user's
environment.   For your immediate concern - whether or not to dump an
existing Windows XP partition - I suggest that you consider that
partition as close to zero cost insurance.  The XP license is a sunk
cost, your existing applications are functional if needed, and your
costs at the margin are disk storage space.  If you need/want more
harddisk space, 40G - 80G hard drives are available at nominal cost.