zoe: itunes m4a and other problems

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Thu Feb 3 11:24:07 UTC 2005

On 02/03/2005 01:53:52 AM, Gain Paolo Mureddu wrote:

> There is a module (I don't know exactly what is it called) for XMMS
> which supports mp4 (m4a) and AAC (Apple Audio Compression) formats,
> and as far as I know works very well with music files downloaded with
> iTunes.

Yes - it is available at rpm.livna.org in their fc3 repository.

It has worked with every .m4a (iTunes encoded) file I have tried.
There also is gstreamer apps - you can play .m4a files in totem and in
gamp if you have the right gstreamer plugin installed.

gamp is an audio player, totem seems to do it better though (does not
crash - gamp sometimes does, though not often)

I have the aac plugin for gstreamer at
http://mpeters.us/linux/fc3_gstreamer.php

xmms is probably better though for your purposes, totem plays audio but
is really meant to be a video player, doesn't cater to audio needs -
and gamp isn't as stable (or mature) as xmms.