RH7.3 & legacy question

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Thu Feb 3 23:16:57 UTC 2005

Gene Heskett wrote:
> Which is what I'm doing, using yum to upgrade 5 or 6 packages at a
> time.  One thing its refusing to do is to update iptables.  This box
> has always had a custom kernel on it, currently running a pretty old
> 2.4.23 something or other with Con Kovolas 'ck6' patchset applied.
> I'm not alergic to building a newer kernel, but how do I go about
> telling yum that the kernel installed is compatible, or even better,
> than the one its looking for?

Two options:

 * You turn the custom kernel into an RPM and install it that way. Then
   the RPM database knows you've got a recent kernel.

 * You let yum install the kernel it wants, but just don't use it.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
James Wilkinson       | They say the heat and the flies here can drive a man
Exeter    Devon    UK | insane. But you don't have to believe that, and nor