RH7.3 & legacy question

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Thu Feb 3 23:43:49 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-03 at 14:56, Gene Heskett wrote:

> >Ah, didn't know that. I guess the OP will have to use yum (available
> > at http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/7.3/legacy-utils/i386/)
> > to keep up to date then.

> Which is what I'm doing, using yum to upgrade 5 or 6 packages at a
> time.  One thing its refusing to do is to update iptables.  This box
> has always had a custom kernel on it, currently running a pretty old
> 2.4.23 something or other with Con Kovolas 'ck6' patchset applied.
> I'm not alergic to building a newer kernel, but how do I go about
> telling yum that the kernel installed is compatible, or even better,
> than the one its looking for?

I just caught up on updates on a 7.3 box that hadn't had any since
freshrpms.net quit doing 7.3. If you take the 2.4.20-37.7.legacy
kernel everything else should work.  You should still be able to
boot your custom kernel if you want but RH kernels tend to have
a lot of newer patches backed in so it may actually be ahead of
yours.

--
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com