Slightly OT: Greylisting success or failure stories?

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri Feb 4 08:51:04 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-03 at 20:34 -0500, Jeff Kinz wrote:
> It is inadvisable for anyone using email in a professional capacity
> to use any form of TMDA (whitelisting/greylisting).
>
> Why?  Simply put, it makes possible clients, customers, contacts
> and potentially valuable network points (people) have to jump thru hoops
> to make an initial contact with you.  Some won't bother, you'll lose.
>
> Here is a collection of responses to TMDA which I have seen on the web:

(snip lots of anti-challenge-response stuff)

I'd just add to this that challenge-response systems basically just
shift the effort of keeping the user's mailbox spam-free onto other
people. Sometimes it's the sender of a valid mail, sometimes it's an
innocent third party that has received a challenge due to having their
email address forged by a spammer or virus.

Since this sort of practise is not good for the long-term future of the
Internet (I don't want to receive hundreds of challenges a day, just
like I don't want to receive hundreds of spams a day), my policy is not
to respond to challenges for emails that I have actually sent, and to
respond to them for emails I have not sent, i.e. exactly the opposite of
what the C/R system user wants. The sooner the Internet is rid of these
things, the better.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>