A stupid mistake!

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Fri Feb 4 15:23:46 UTC 2005

Anders Damm wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> Just upgraded my home workstation to FC3 (AMD-CPU). i did a vanila installation on a new
> hd (hda) on a other machine and after copying my files and configs, replaced the hda in my workstation.
>
> The stupid thing is that I didn't for a moment considerd that the other machine has a Intel-CPU.
> So now I have a working FC3 Intel-installation running on a AMD!
>
> Is there some easy way to fix this, or just reinstall ?

First check if there is anything to fix.

FC3 comes with i586 (Pentium, Pentium MMX, older AMD, Cyrix, VIA) and
i686 packages (Pentium Pro and newever, are there any AMD/Cyrix/VIA
processors compatible with i686?).  Check if your AMD is i586 or i686
compatible (not sure if there are any i686 compatible AMDs, haven't had
any AMD processor in my hands for long time, so this is theoreticall
only).  There are no AMD-only packages in FC3, as was the case with some
older RedHat releases.

Than check what exactly you have installed (easiest thing is to check
kernel package).  If you have i586 installed, and your AMD is i686
compatible, everything should work just fine.  You might consider
upgrading packages to i686 versions for performance.

If your AMD is i586 compatible, and you have i686 versions of packages,
it would be smart to switch to i586 versions of packages (or i386 if
i586 is not available).  There's only a couple of packages that have
i686 version (kernel, glibc, openssl, maybe couple of others), so simply
replacing those should be fast and easy to do.