Treo 650 trouble FC3

Matt Morgan minxmertzmomo at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 21:23:54 UTC 2005

I'm trying to get my new Treo 650 working with FC3. I followed the
oft-referenced instructions for Palm Handheld syncing with Fedora at

http://www.clasohm.com/blog/one-entry?entry_id=12096

but my new Treo 650 still isn't working. I wondered if the udev rule
was maybe not perfect for this device, so I tried to follow his steps,
which are

1) Press the Hotsync button,
2) Find the newest symlink in /sys/bus/usb/devices,
3) Examine the product file in the directory to which the symlink pointed.

What I find is that there is no "product" file in that directory (or
any nearby directory). Maybe this one is different from the Treo 600
somehow? What should I look for instead?

I can see certain expected things happening; while the device is
trying to sync, a /dev/ttyUSB0 and a /dev/ttyUSB1 show up, as well as
a /dev/pilot that links to /dev/ttyUSB0:

[root at morganm_fc3 dev]# ls -l|grep ttyUSB
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root    root        7 Feb  4 16:20 pilot -> ttyUSB0
crw-------   1 morganm uucp 188,   0 Feb  4 16:20 ttyUSB0
crw-rw----   1 root    uucp 188,   1 Feb  4 16:20 ttyUSB1

I don't understand why /dev/ttyUSB0 is owned by my user account,
though ... is that normal?

Thanks,
Matt