Solution Coming Re: Fedora Community: Under threat?,

THUFIR HAWAT thufir.hawat at mail.com
Sat Feb 5 23:21:33 UTC 2005

pros:
1.) still e-mail list, at least one person prefers this.
2.) double click on the link and outlook express in win2k opens the group, presumably something similar happens in linux.

cons:
1.) obscure "vanlug.general" which I can't get through my isp.  I imagine redhat could use redhat.public.fedora-core.user.<n> where n is the release, like 3, which'd be much better.  presumabely the pros could also be kept, and, in addition, a web interface could be added.  keep in mind that redhat can always have a moderated group, which'd be a good way to seperate super-technical developement stuff from "how do i install?" type questions, if so desired.  or, don't moderate, it's up to redhat & the community to determine that :)

it's critical to go with "standards" here, specifically common usenet naming conventions.

microsoft has some sort of interface, <http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/default.mspx>, which is awkward.  instead, redhat could go with a deja-news style interface with added functionality specific to fedora.  I can't imagine deja/google has a patent on web-->usenet, but who knows!

my two cents,

Thufir Hawat
Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm