Setting Up Mail Server and Vitual Hosting

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Sun Feb 6 10:45:59 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-02-06 at 00:19 -0500, Troyston Campano wrote:
> I am setting up server running Fedora which have multiple domain names
> pointed to the IP address of my server. I’d like to set up a single
> mail server that can be used by each domain for mail (pop3 or imap I
> guess). I’d like to set it up so that each domain can have mail
> accounts for their individual domains.
>

> I’m a complete newbie when it comes to setting up a mail server and
> even more so trying to figure out the multiple domain names with one
> mail server. For apache I use Name-Based Virtual Hosting to have one
> web server managing multiple domains/web sites. Not sure how to do
> this with a mail server.
>

> Any help or pointers to documentation would be greatly appreciated.

With sendmail (the default FC3 mail server), you add your list of
domains, one per line, to /etc/mail/local-host-names and then add
entries for each account at each domain to /etc/mail/virtusertable,
specifying which local account that user's mail should be delivered to,
e.g.

joe at example.com		joe1
joe at other.com		joe2
postmaster at example.com	root
@example.com		jim

Then run "make -C /etc/mail"

The first entry delivers mail for joe at example.com to local account joe1

The second entry delivers mail for joe at other.com to local account joe2

The third entry delivers mail for postmaster at example.com to local
account root (or whoever root has been aliased to in /etc/aliases)

The last entry is a catch-all mailbox that delivers mail for anyone in
the example.com domain not otherwise specified to local account jim

Quite easy really.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>