Cant connect thru Dlink DFM-560ES modem

Edward edward at tripled.iinet.net.au
Mon Feb 7 09:34:36 UTC 2005

Rajev Mhasawade wrote:
> Hi,
> I have installed Fedora core 3 on my system.I have Dlink's DFM-560ES
> external analog modem.I am not able to install it.Plz help.
>
> I browsed thru help pages and to know no entry of 'hosts' file is
> present in network configuration(they have told u need the default
> one-127.0.0.1)I looked thru /etc/hosts.conf file (order hosts,bind)
> and /etc/hosts file(127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost) having
> the entries typed in brackets.I dont know if this relavent here but
> those had mention on help pages)
>
> when i select dev/modem it does nothing but if i select the entry just
> next to it(i cant recall it) it does try to dial the modem with wierd
> noises.I tries with all sets of modems types available and used to get
> failed to connect error2,6,8 either of these.
>
> Plz help.
> Rajev

Please make sure the modem is set up properly first:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Modem-HOWTO.html

Then look at ways to dial into your ISP:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/ISP-Hookup-HOWTO.html

If you still aren't getting anywhere, please post back to the list with
the things you tried and what went wrong.

Regards,
Ed.