KDE and GNOME apps

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Wed Feb 9 00:13:05 UTC 2005

Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:
> Yeah, but what amuses me is the "However, this rule is not hard and
> fast". Don't know what he really means.

Kevin had written:
> If QT is installed, any KDE application should run.  If GTK is
> installed, any GNOME application should run.  However, this rule is
> not hard and fast.

Well, KDE applications don't *just* rely on Qt. For example, run
rpm -qR kdebase
or
rpm -qR kdegames
or
rpm -qR kdenetwork

All of them require libvorbis. So if you have one of the applications
from those packages that requires libvorbis, and a system that has the
GTK libraries but not libvorbis, you're going to be in trouble.

More to the point, as I understand it, there's a *lot* of infrastructure
built on top of Qt or GTK+. KDE and GNOME programs tend to use this
rather than re-implementing their own versions. So getting a KDE
application to run on a machine that has not had KDE on it will actually
mean installing a fair subset of KDE.

As has been mentioned, installing programs using RPM will ensure that
the correct libraries are on the machine. But there are other ways of
installing software.

James.

--
James Wilkinson       | 'In a serial interface, the data bits move down a
Exeter    Devon    UK | single channel one after the other, like railway