Advice on external backup of a Linux server.

Arthur Pemberton dalive at flashmail.com
Thu Feb 10 02:04:27 UTC 2005

Bill Gradwohl wrote:

> Arthur Pemberton wrote:
>
>> What if something goes wrong in the chasis, for example, power surge,
>> all teh HDD's go? no?
>

> We've been in the micro computer networking business since 1982. In
> all that time, I've never seen a power supply fry a drive. I don't
> doubt it's happened, but I've personally never witnessed it, nor have
> any of my employees. I have seen a lightning strike take out a whole
> slew of machines in one shot, but what are the odds of that?

That's just funny and humerous :) In such a case, would two identical
HDD's at software RAID 1 (which if I remember correctly is just
mirroring) be good enough? OR would it be better to keep the
backup/second HDD unmounted and just mount for a scripted backup?

>> The prob I have I have with the USB solution is that it requires user
>> intervention.
>

> What user intervention? If you use an external drive, it has its own
> power supply. Just leave it plugged in permanently via its USB cable,
> if what you're after is a "home" solution.

This is actuall ymy home solution. I actually made my backup script in
PHP. I just flip on the power switch for my USB enclosure which
interface to an ATA HDD , and does script does is stuff, and I switch
off after.

However I'm planning this for a smal business. As I'm sure you're aware
normal employees (ie. non geek, or computer centric) shouldnt' really be
trusted with anything computer, so if possible, I woudl prefer not to
rely on them to switch on the USB HDD to allow it to backup.

> Even for a business, you can script rsync operations to fit X number
> of snapshots on to a single disk, so that you only NEED to touch it
> every few weeks after its filled up with umteen generations. User
> intervention every long while isn't so bad - is it?

You seem to have alot more experience than I. So I'm hoping you could
tell me.

> BTW - We're getting our clients used to living without tape backups,
> opting for disk based backup solutions in a variety of forms. I mean
> real disk, not CD-ROM or DVD. One client has a box with 6TB of disk
> capacity. Only 2TB is their data. The other 2+2TB is for backup using
> two 12 port 3Ware Escalade controller and a large hot swap backplane.
> Works like a charm.

All I can say is COOL!!