Advice on external backup of a Linux server.

Arthur Pemberton dalive at flashmail.com
Thu Feb 10 04:11:56 UTC 2005

Bill Gradwohl wrote:

> Arthur Pemberton wrote:
>
>> However I'm planning this for a smal business. As I'm sure you're
>> aware normal employees (ie. non geek, or computer centric) shouldnt'
>> really be trusted with anything computer, so if possible, I woudl
>> prefer not to rely on them to switch on the USB HDD to allow it to
>> backup.
>

> In a business situation, you have to answer the question: "Am I going
> to take a true disaster into consideration or not?"
>
> Since 1982, we've seen only 1 real disaster. A twister that rolled
> thru downtown Ft. Worth and did lots of damage. One of the larger
> building was so heavily damaged that it was condemned by the city. A
> client of ours in that building had their office space so completely
> trashed, we couldn't identify where we were when we hit their floor.
> The interior walls were gone, exterior windows blown out, etc. We
> found a users area where the monitor was sucked out the window,
> severing the cable to the computer. The computer however worked just
> fine when we retrieved it from under the desk and gave it a new monitor.
>
> Their server room was drenched in water with soaked ceiling tiles and
> insulation all over the equipment.. We physically moved the gear to a
> new site a few miles away, opened up and dried off everything, plugged
> things in and they were up. Not one computer was lost.
>
> Now, when someone says that you HAVE to consider disaster recovery,
> I'm no longer in complete agreement. Its up to you. If you want off
> site backup fine. If not, that's fine too.
>
> We don't think software RAID is a good idea. We prefer real hardware
> RAID. RAIDing a server does not provide disaster recovery protection.
> If the box burns, gets flooded, stolen, etc, its ALL gone. RAID isn't
> even good for "oops" recovery. When someone creates an "oops" mini
> disaster by erasing the payroll master file, its still gone even with
> a RAID array.
>
> In our experience, "oops" mini disasters occur all the time. They are
> the ones you need to protect against. Having a spinning "snapshot"
> backup on disk is the way to go. We set them up to snapshot the
> servers main drive or drive array(s) every hour during working hours,
> and once over night. Should someone destroy a file, the admin can
> reach into the latest snapshot and retrieve it, or the generation from
> an hour ago, or the one from 3 hours ago, or the one for 3PM last
> Thursday, etc. That's the flexibility a business needs. If the latest
> upgrade to the accounting system software turns out to be problematic,
> we can roll it back by grabbing a generation of the environment from
> before the upgrade. These are the common problems that backup can
> handle well and occur routinely in any business environment.
>
> Most small business users can't properly handle restores from tape, or
> even consistently feed the machine a new tape daily. Therefore, we
> gave up on tape a few years ago. Any "admin" can use their Windows
> [...]
Having considered your mindset, and knowing my client, I can
confidentetly say that although they would like to SAY that they want a
backup for a true dissaster, if I provide them with a quote for that
service they will quickly change their mind. Your suggestion of in
chasis drive backup, and not RAID seems very interesting, and I see your
point where simple mirroring prooves useless for typical problems.

But I'd like to know what technologies (for lack of a better word) do
you utilize to do the snapshoting? If you prefer, a few suggested google
queries would  help.

On a side not, I find it amazing that computer can take that much a beating.