recover fedora core 3

Mostafa Z. Afgani mostafa.afgani at world.iu-bremen.de
Thu Feb 10 17:45:43 UTC 2005

Ankush Grover wrote:
| hey,
|
| only way is booting through the FC3 boot CD and running the linux in
| rescue mode and you can search on the google how to built the linux
| from the resuce mode.I have never done this so don't know the step.
|
| Regards
|
| Ankush
|

| On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 16:15:54 -0800 (PST), Charles Li <cli168 at yahoo.com>
wrote:

|>Hi,
|>I have installed FC3 on a notebook with WinXP.  Couple
|>of days ago, I try out WinXP64bit and now I can not
|>get back FC3.  It seems that xp64 modify or damage the
|>boot loader.  Is there a way to get FC3 back?
|>
|>Thanks,
|>Charles Li

Yes. You will need the FC3 boot CD for this:

1. at the "boot:" prompt, type "linux rescue"

2. after getting through the initial steps, you are at a shell

3. at the shell type "chroot /mnt/sysimage"

4. type "fdisk -l" to determine the device number of your root
partition. This will look something like /dev/hda1

5. then, type "grub"

6. this should give you the grub prompt: "grub>"

7. type: "root (hd0,0)" assuming your root is at /dev/hda1. for
/dev/hdb3 it would look like "root (hd1,4)". you get the idea ..

8. Then, type "setup (hd0)" assuming again that you want it on the MBR
of your first HDD.

9. If all goes well, you will see a success message.

10. Quit grub using "quit"

11. exit the shells to reboot

12. You have the grub menu again ;)

This is all from memmory so .. use at your own risk ;)

Best,
- -M