Need help: X GUI objects invisible

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 17:49:28 UTC 2005

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 08:36:26 -0500, Bruce Elliott
<belliott4488 at comcast.net> wrote:
> Jim Cornette wrote:
> > Also, the xorg.conf file is not the exact problem causing the error.
> > The problem is with the xorg-x11 driver for the i810 video cards.
> >
> > The only thing that I see is to add the
> > Option "NoAccel"
> > To the xorg.conf file, then get the xorg-x11 where the breakage was
> > resolved/reduced for the 810 and 815 video chipset class.
> >
> > Going through installing SUSE also to check the config file seems to
> > be a lot of work, but I have resorted to some very out of the ordinary
> > workarounds or detective methods also.
> >
> > Jim
>
> I'll try to track down the latest X11 and verify that it has the
> necessary fix.  But, regarding SuSE - installing would be a pain,
> especially if it required clobbering and then reinstalling Fedora, but
> doesn't the fact that my SuSE installation had worked correctly on this
> machine indicate that it included the required version of X11?  Is there
> any way I might be able to get just that from the SuSE CDs?  Maybe it's
> more trouble than it's worth ...
>
> - Bruce

A simple "yum update" will go out to the internet and grab the
necessary packages.  It will also update your entire system, which is
highly recommended as a lot has gone on since FC3 was first released.
It will take a while to download and install all the packages,
especially if you have a slow internet connection.  This also assumes
you have installed the gpg keys that you need.  Something like
rpm --import /usr/share/rhn/RPM-GPG-KEY*
should do the trick, I believe.  This is probably the easiest way to
get the updated packages.  If you just want to update X11, you might
try "yum update x11" and see if that works to get X working.  You'll
need to do a full update at some time, though.  This just might get X
working so things are a little more convenient.
To answer your questions about getting the packages from SuSE, in
general, SuSE rpms will not install and work right on other distros
(sometimes not even other versions of SuSE).  There may be exceptions
to this, but they would be rare, and anything as complex as X11
probably would not be an exception.  Besides, the SuSE package is most
likely older as Fedora tends to stay on the cutting edge.

Jonathan