LVM, resize /, & FC3 defaults

Felipe Alfaro Solana lkml at mac.com
Sun Feb 13 10:48:24 UTC 2005

On 13 Feb 2005, at 05:36, Jim Cornette wrote:

>>> Since I don't have a linux computer at hand now, (on someone elses
>>> XP) do you have to perform the
>>> lvm lvscan
>>> part only before you can chroot /mnt/sysimage when using a system
>>> configured with LVM?
>> You need to run "lvm lvscan" and "lvm vgchange -ay" *before*
>> chrooting  into your filesystem. Also, since anaconda won't setup LVM
>> properly, you must manually mount the volumes into their place before
>> begin able to chroot into them.
>>> I take it that the lvm vgchange -ay refers to activating the LVM to
>>> allow for changing and the -an deactivates the change.
>> Right. "lvm vgchange -ay" activates all LVM volumes and places the
>> corresponding device files into /dev/mapper/ and links to them into
>> /dev/Your-Volume-Group-Name.
>
> This explanation lowers my fear about managing an lvm volume. Earlier
> explanations seemed to make dealing with the lvm volumes seem to be a
> complicated task. It still seems more complicated than dealing with
> fdisk and setting up partitions. Then again, fdisk was something that
> took some reading, familiarization, etc.

LVM2 is not as complicated as it seems. It might seem complicated at
first when compared with fdisk, but once you know how to perform the
basic tasks, it's pretty straightforward.

Resizing volumes requires two or three commands, but it compensates
enough given that LVM2 is much more powerful and flexible than
plain-old fdisk-like partitions.