FC3: Can't run 2.6.10 kernels with nvidia driver

Frank FIR at Frank.net
Thu Feb 17 14:03:08 UTC 2005

I've tried each new kernel that has come out since 681, with the same
result.  With a 2.6.10 kernel and the nvidia drivers installed, my
system boots to a black screen and a dead keyboard when it goes
graphical.  This is true on both 32 and 64 bit FC3, and this morning I
tried the latest kernel with the driver patches mentioned here:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=42964 , with the same
result.

I don't care about 3D performance, but I do care about dual headed
operation, and it seems that I need the vendor proprietary drivers to
get that.  So I'm stuck there.

One of my systems now has a problem with USB mass storage devices, which
I use a lot.  the first time I plug in a drive everything is fine, but
subsequently no device will be recognized and there are no messages in
/var/log/messages.  This worked just fine a couple months ago, so I'm
guessing that something that needs the new kernels was installed, and I
can't run the new kernels.

So at the monent, I can't run both a graphical interface and USB
devices.  What a mess.  I'm starting to feel that FC3 is a bit too
bleeding edge if I want to spend my time using rather than fixing my
machines.

This particular machine is an Asus A8V with an Nvidia GeForce 6600 dual
DVI card, running 32 bit FC3 (on an AMD64 processor).  Are other people
having these problems?  Can anyone suggest how I might recover from this
situation?

Frank.