Backups on DVD

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sun Feb 20 00:00:41 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-16 at 08:55 -0500, Leonard Isham wrote:
> I'd check to see if Mondo Rescue supports DVDs.
>
> http://www.microwerks.net/~hugo/

It does.  I use it on a server with about 22GB of data, and it is
capable of making a bare-bones backup to create bootable media that will
easily do a full usable restore to a blank drive

My approach is to have mondo do the backup to .iso files on a different
server. Then burn the DVDs when the backup is complete.

I burn a full backup monthly to DVD, and a differential backup weekly to
CD.  Seems to fit my needs well for that system.

> On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 12:39:19 +0100, A. Lanza <alf at lanza-ti.com> wrote:
> > Hi list,
> >
> > I'm looking for a solution to backup data on a server on a monthly
> > basis. The amount of data to be backed up is about 20 GB. I do not have
> > any tape drives but have a DVD drive. I'd like to store the backups on a
> > few DVDs.
> >
> > I use tar to get the complete backup done. How can i split the file in
> > 4,7 GB. individual files and record them on DVDs?
> >
> > Is there a better way to manage backups? I'm sure there is, but don't
> > know :( and i haven't found any backup tool in FC3...
> >
> > I'd appreciate your help,

[reply reorganized for readability]

> I'd check to see if Mondo Rescue supports DVDs.
>
> http://www.microwerks.net/~hugo/

It does handle DVD along with tape, files, CDs, and more.

I use it on a server with about 22GB of data, and it is capable of
making a bare-bones backup to create bootable media that will easily do
a full usable restore to a blank drive

My approach is to have MondoRescue do the backup to .iso files on a