Fedora/Windows network

Antonio Montagnani anto.montagnani at virgilio.it
Sun Feb 20 18:07:17 UTC 2005

Craig White ha scritto/wrote il giorno/on 20/02/2005 18:54:

>>Hey thanks Craig I can connect directly to the share via name as
>>oppossed to just IP now.
>>
>>But what if my wireless router (home network) is set up as the dhcp server?
>>
>>I do not see a wins section in my router setup page for this Netgear
>>WGT264 I have.  Is there anyway to add the Linux box to my lmhosts on
>>the XP box to have this work?
>>

>----
>absolutely - that is indeed one way of getting NETBIOS names to resolve
>to a specific ip address without WINS...
>
>on my windows xp machine, I would want a file called
>
>c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\lmhosts
>
>and an entry like...
>
>192.168.1.1      NETBIOS_NAME
>
>see lmhosts.sam
>
>of course, lmhosts is not dynamic and any changes will have to be
>manually recorded to each Windows computer (or samba computers) using
>this instead of WINS
>
>Craig

Craig,

I made all suggested modification.
I want to report my experience: sometimes I connect to my shared
folders, sometimes I see the workgroup, the list of computers, the list
of shared folders, but I can't connect, and even if I close the windows,
Nautilus has to be killed in system monitor.
After killing, I may connect (not always...).
Another information is that I am running Iptables, but I have no
restrictions on the internal network, I can connect to my samba shares
immediately from my Windows machines....
Similar configuration was working fine in FC2
Tnx

--

 Antonio M.

 Working with  Mozilla Thunderbird 0.9 on Redhat Linux Fedora Core 3