Using up2date killed X

Timothy J. Finucane speljamr at speljamr.com
Mon Feb 21 20:05:38 UTC 2005

I recently used up2date to get the latest updates for my new server, including X.org updates. After the updates were complete I decided to reboot the server. When the machine came back up I no longer had a working X window system. I took a look at the log files for X and found the following entry:

Fatal Server Error: Could not open default font 'fixed'

Anyone have some ideas on how to correct this issue? Has anyone else experienced this after running updates for X?

Thanks,

Tim