Hacking the FC boot.iso

Steve Manuel smanuel at fanbuzz.com
Wed Feb 23 06:54:03 UTC 2005

I'm trying to modify the kernel in the FC{2,3} boot.iso but I'm running
into some problems. I have a Dell PV745 with 4 SATA HD's. As the default
kernel in the install disk tries to load the sata_vsc module the whole
thing hangs. Someone on LKM has solved the problem by inabling APIC
support in the kernel. This isn't in the kernel in boot.iso so
this means a little hacking of the install disk; no problem.

Well, not quite. I've successfully un-teased the boot.iso, initrd.img,
and the modules.cgz. I've rebuilt the kernel from the 2.6.5-1.358
src.rpm and from 2.6.10 from kernel.org. Both compiled fine. However,
the problem is that neither kernel (or anaconda) can seem to find the
kernel modules. I keep seeing that none of the modules needed by probed
hardware can be found. I've recreated the new modules.cgz *exactly* as
the old one and it just doesn't work. As there doesn't see to be any
good instructions on rebuilding just the boot.iso I'm stumped.

Has anyone rebuilt the boot.iso with a custom kernel? I'd appreciate any
info you can give.

Thanks.

p.s. i'm working on making a boot floppy but I'd prefer the cd-rom
method.
--
Steve Manuel
System Administrator