fc3 connect to Windowz behide router via smb

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Sat Feb 26 10:25:54 UTC 2005

Barry Yu wrote:
> How can I access Windowz machine share behide a router when I want to
> use 'smb ://' in url input box of  Konquoror? If to use port forwarding
> what is the port number to be used? Tks for any advice.

PLEASE be careful with this!

The security of Windows' file sharing is, erm, low. Even if stuff is
password-protected, last I checked Windows still enabled modes where the
encoding is very weak, and it's too easy to get encrypted passwords out
of Windows' machines.

And I understand that even XP tends to share files with convenience, not
security, in mind.

You *may* be able to get away with this if your router also acts as a
firewall and only allows one specified IP address to access the port.
Even then, you're vulnerable to a number of spoofing attacks.

But, in general, there's just too much to check, and too much to get
wrong.

See, for example,
http://pangea.stanford.edu/computerinfo/windows/security/xpsharing.html

A much better option would be some form of VPN. Last time this was
asked, people recommended OpenVPN.

James.

--
James Wilkinson       | "Does exactly what it says on the tin." ...
Exeter    Devon    UK | I've got a tin at home: it says "Open other end".