FW: Install problems Fedora Core 3 - Dell OptiPlex....

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sat Feb 26 14:27:06 UTC 2005

Irving, Dave wrote:
> Jim,
>
> Thank you so much for your help. I did a text install this morning and
> followed your instructions, and hey - would you know it - it all worked
> fine!
> Your advice was easy to follow - even for a total Linux newbie like me -
> thank you!
>
> Thanks also to David Cary Hart, who also gave me useful information last
> night.
>
> Im sure I'll have more questions soon - and its great to see such a helpful
> community!
>
> Thanks guys!
>
> Dave.

I'm glad that the explanation helped you out. The broken driver was a
chore to overcome for me. Help from others through the fedora-test-list
and through bugzilla helped me through this problem.

I tried to take into account the firstboot problem, which is where you
create the regular user and also the refresh problem with the i810
driver for the FC3 snapshot edition. The two major bugs that I
encountered with FC3 were the mediacheck problem and the i810 driver
breakage. Having to overcome released versions of a distribution with
fairly complicated problems in the released edition seems to be
something that has to be reckoned with until the next release snapshot.
Since the releases are pretty much on a 6 month cycle, you should be
alright with the release of FC4, where the problem was fixed and
probably gone for future installations.
A good thing is that you learn more about the processes in Linux and can
use the knowledge later in the use of Linux.
FC4 was delayed, I believe the delay is a justifiable delay. Hopefully
FC4 will be a more presentable snapshot. Some indicatons that it is
related to reducing the size down from 5 CDs to 4 CDs, but there are
other problems that would justify delaying FC4T1 a bit also.

Jim
Jim