Strange problem with KDE/X/Totem

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun Feb 27 03:59:43 UTC 2005

>>At least you are able to change back to X and run KDE. With a
>>similar card type. I can change from GNOME to a terminal, use the
>>terminal. My problem happens when I change back to the GUI, the
>>upper portion of the screen has residual information. The residual
>>display takes up about the same screen real estate as is occupied
>>by the upper GNOME panel. I need to power off uncleanly in order to
>>escape the resulting lockup.
>>
>>I run in runlevel 3. Are you starting in graphics mode or to initial
>>terminals? My question is mainly so I can figure which component is
>>most likely causing the malfunction. With you running KDE and
>>having locked terminals, but could return to KDE and I can exit
>>from Gnome to terminal, but not return successfully to the GUI are
>>sort of opposite symptoms for users of similar video cards.
>>
>>I don't have the problem with totem though as you described.
>>
>>01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon
>>Mobility U1
>>
>>Jim
>>
>>--
>>We are experiencing system trouble -- do not adjust your terminal.
>

> Generally speaking, such problems have been brought about here by
> using the wrong framebuffer when I built the kernel.  I suspect thats
> the problem here also. Since its an ati, although not the same as
> mine, here are the 'FB' options from my working kernel .config for
> 2.6.11-rc5:
>
> CONFIG_FB=y
> CONFIG_FB_MODE_HELPERS=y
> CONFIG_FB_RADEON=m
> CONFIG_FB_RADEON_I2C=y
>
> Now, as to the actual correctness, damnedifiknow.  But its been
> working here for about a year with no glitches when I switch in and
> out of X.  X is currently the 6.8.1 release from x.org, locally built
> and has been bulletproof so far.

I get this warning in the kernel log.
Feb 26 22:07:17 cornette-fc3-lt kernel: Warning: ATI Radeon IGP
Northbridge is not yet fully tested.

I have been using the Fedora binary kernel and the binary xorg-x11
versions. I might try to build a kernel from source and see if something
in the configuration of the stock kernel is causing this condition VT to
GUI is OK, GUI to VT is OK, but changing from VT to GUI again causes a
lockup. The mouse moves around on the GUI, but nothing functions and
even ALT-sysreq-b does not break out of the condition.

I can logout of X back to a terminal alright, then get back into X
without any problems. I think that going through all the video problems
with the radeon 7200 and wth the i810 got me to say, what the heck, at
least it works with care.

I'll search for bugs in xorg-x11 website, then if no similar reports do
the rebuild of the kernel.  The only two modules that lsmod shows that
sound related to graphics are a video module and te radeon module. I'll
exit the GUI to see if the radeon is still listed in lsmod. I assume
that this is the framebuffer module that you are referring to.

Thanks for the hint regarding no problem with a custom built kernel.

Jim

--
Removing the straw that broke the camel's back does not necessarily
allow the camel to walk again.