Black Screen After YUM Update Revisited:

Hacksaw hacksaw at hacksaw.org
Sun Feb 27 14:39:00 UTC 2005

>>Could not init font path element unix/:7100, removing from list!
>>
>>Fatal server error:
>>could not open default font 'fixed'
>
>This is a big problem. X doesn't like to do anything without "fixed". It
pines
>for it's little bitmap buddy.
>
>Is xfs actually running on your machine? No xfs, no fixed, no X.
>
>And did anyone else have their xfs start up script in /etc/init.d get toasted?

I should elaborate a little for those who might not know:

The

FontPath     "unix/:7100"

line of the xorg.conf (or an XFree86.conf) is saying "please look here and
expect to find a font server at the other end of this socket."

xfs, as well as being the name of a filesystem donated to Linux by sgi, is the
"X Font Server". And unfortunate name collision. Fortunate smirks, though, one
is a device driver, and the other a daemon.

If that line is the only Fontpath line you have, you are saying "I have no
fonts of use locally, get them all from the socket. This is not unreasonable
idea, since it makes your font management slightly easier, and you can have
the daemon take care of all manner of silliness for you.

But the daemon must be running, or X gets grumpy.

If your xfs server is configure and ready to go, and your init.d script hasn't
miraculously turned into a small pile of cream cheese 0 sized file, then you
may start the daemon by issuing the command as root:

service xfs start

It should say something like:

Starting X Font Server:                   [OK]

If it doesn't you have other problems.

--
Twist that stump kitty
Twist it! Thump! Kitty's dead now