sometimes sound

Peter Lesterhuis peterlesterhuis at tiscali.nl
Sun Feb 27 17:10:57 UTC 2005

>Peter Lesterhuis wrote:
>

>>> With some applications I can hear sound, with others I cann't.
>>> When playing an audio cd I only hear sound when using digital audio
>>> extraction (using xmms). I do not hear sound in the "analog" play mode.
>>

>Well, that implies you either do not have an analogue cable between your
>CD-ROM and your sound card, or it is faulty.
>
>Later, you say:
>

>>> -I checked the cd-drive for an analog output to be connected to the
>>> soundcard, but mine does not seem to have one.
>>

>For what it's worth,
>http://www.omnicast.net/~tmcfadden/guides/build/CDROMrear1.jpg is a good
>photo of what you should be looking for.
>
>In any case, you will be limited to digital sound and hence xmms without
>one.
>

>>> Gnome cd player seems to work, but without sound.
>>

>Gnome CD player assumes an analogue cable...
>

>>> TV applications
>>> (zapping or tv-time) show good video, but no sound.
>>

>What TV card do you have?

I found the analog audio output on the rear of the cdrom-driver. Indeed
there was no cable connected. However I can find no sign of something to
plug the other end of the cable into. I thourougly checked the
motherboard and soundcard.

Is sound of the tv applications also dependent of an  analogue
connection? My tv-card is a Multimedia controller: Philips Semiconductor
SAA7134 (rev 01).
Peter.