nVidia or ATI?

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sun Feb 27 19:30:06 UTC 2005

On 02/27/2005 06:59:13 AM, Steven Stern wrote:
> I'm about to buy a new desktop computer, probably a Dell Dimension
> 8400.  The video options in my price range are
>
> 128MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon™ X300 SE or
> 256MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) nVidia GeForce 6800
>
> I see post after post about issues with nVidia cards.  Is this still
> an issue with FC3?  I'm not doing any gaming or advanced graphics,
> just general computer stuff.  My goal is to have a quality video
> experience that works just as well in Linux as it does in Windows on
> the 17" ultrasharp monitor.

If you don't game - use the nv.ko driver that Fedora supplies in the
kernel and you'll probably be fine. That's what I use.

A lot of the problems are actually related to the binary driver nvidia
provides - which does giver better 3D performance, but also causes
weird issues (like grep segfaulting on a recursive grep of /etc) that
can't be fixed by anyone other than NVidia.

--
Michael A. Peters
http://mpeters.us/