New Firefox vs. Up2date

Jonathan Ryshpan jonrysh at pacbell.net
Mon Feb 28 23:19:23 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-28 at 11:27 -0800, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> The Red Hat Network Notification Tool (KDE Applet) tells me correctly
> that there is a new version of Firefox available.  The version on the
> nachine is firefox-1.0-2.fc3.x86_64.rpm, while the latest version on the
> server is firefox-1.0.1-1.3.1.x86_64.rpm.  Nevertheless, up2date doesn't
> report the new version as available for installation.
>
> Does anyone know why this is?  Is the new firefox worth hand
> installation?

Many people have suggested that the problem is with the mirror list that
I have in /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources, and that the problem will go away
if only I wait a while or edit .../sources to have only one source for
updates.  In fact:

(1) The problem has persisted for about 3 days, ever since 25-Feb.

(2) I don't have a mirror list; I use a single server.  The key line
in .../sources is:
yum updates-released-fc3 http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/core/updates/3/x86_64
This is reflected by a message from up2date in one of its start screens,
namely:
Channel Information
yum channel fedora-core-3 from  http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/core/3/x86_64/os
And, in fact, firefox-1.0.1-1.3.1.x86_64.rpm is present on this server.

(3) BTW: No-one has given an opinion about whether it's worth while to
update firefox by hand.

Thanks to all for your quick replies:
--
Jonathan Ryshpan <jonrysh at pacbell.net>