How to Set Workspace in Session Startup of OpenOffice.org, Firefox, Thunderbird

Schlaegel 777tahder at schlaegel.com
Sat Jan 1 07:43:47 UTC 2005

Peter Arremann wrote:

>Do you have the feeling of deja-vu?
>It's been a while that this topic came up but basicly metacity (the gnome
>window manager by default) requires apps to have working session management.
>Allowing the app to mess around with that by starting apps on specific
>desktops has been decided to be a bad idea (something many people disagree
>with) and stuff that used to work with fvwm (-xrm "*Desk: 1" and the like) or
>window binding ala sawfish have never been implemented.
>See the discussion here:
>https://listman.redhat.com/archives/limbo-list/2002-July/msg00171.html

I see that this is an old problem; I wasn't around these lists back in
2002. In the thread you mentioned, Havoc said that the spec has been
around since 1994 and it only "takes a day or two to implement". Is
everything still in the same state that it was in 2002?  It is hard for
me to believe that Red Hat has not had the expertise, desire, and time
to devote a day or two to get OpenOffice.org and Firefox session aware.
---

(https://listman.redhat.com/archives/limbo-list/2002-July/msg00172.html)

(https://listman.redhat.com/archives/limbo-list/2002-July/msg00211.html)

(https://listman.redhat.com/archives/limbo-list/2002-July/msg00194.html)