AMD64 Firefox Java Runtime and Plugin

Gene Smith gds at chartertn.net
Sat Jan 1 19:08:05 UTC 2005

Matthew Saltzman wrote, On 01/01/2005 11:03 AM:
> On Sat, 1 Jan 2005, Jonathan Berry wrote:
>

>>On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 01:08:52 -0500, Gene Smith <gds at chartertn.net> wrote:
>>
>>>I installed the blackdown 64 bit j2re package as described here:
>>>
>>>http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?p=138909#post138909
>>>
>>>The AMD64 Sun versions do not seem to have plugins yet.
>>>
>>>However, when I go to the the menus along the top of this site
>>>http://www.princeton.edu/~rvdb/
>>>e.g. "JAVA Applets" Firefox crashes.
>>>
>>>I have the depreciated xorg libs installed as mentioned in the 1st link
>>>above.
>>>
>>>Can other AMD64 users access this site with a x86_64 type java plugin
>>>installed without crashing FF?
>>>
>>>-gene
>>>

>>Hi Gene,
>>Yes, I see the same behavior as you.  I just tried installing just the
>>plugin and Firefox does crash when trying to view that website.   I
>>created a /usr/lib64/java-plugin/ directory, copied the file there,
>>and linked from /usr/lib64/firefox-1.0/plugins/  I also tried adding
>>the directory where I unpacked the files in the path
>>(~/download/java64/j2re1.4.2/bin), but that did not help.
>>Here is the output of running firefox and then navigating to the above website:
>>$ firefox --verbose
>>INTERNAL ERROR on Browser End: Exec of "java_vm" failed: 2
>><
>>System error?:: No such file or directory
>>
>>** (Gecko:3990): WARNING **: Serious fd usage error 16
>>
>>** (Gecko:3990): WARNING **: Serious fd usage error 14
>>INTERNAL ERROR on Browser End: Could not read ack from child process
>>System error?:: Resource temporarily unavailable
>>
>>I also have the deprecated libs packages installed.
>>
>>Running "java_vm" by itself gives an interesting result:
>>$ java_vm
>>java_vm process: could not find Java VM symbols
>>
>>I think I'll go back to 32-bit firefox for now.
>

> May not help.  I started another thread recently complaining that this
> exact same site crashed the Sun Java 1.4.2_06 plugin in FF on ia32.

That's where I found the site. Thanks.

> The solution was to move to the Sun Java 1.5.0_01 plugin.  You might want
> to try that before abandoning x86_64 entirely.

But, the way I read it, the release notes for AMD64 Sun Jave 1.5 RE and
DE both say they don't yet have plugins yet. (???) When I expanded the
1.5 runtime there was no "plugin" directory. I did not try the JDE but
maybe I should look to see if it does or does not supply plugins.

-gene