Boot hangs after fresh install

Ned Voorhees ned.voorhees at gmail.com
Sat Jan 1 19:50:42 UTC 2005

Hello,
I am a Fedora newbie, although I have used other flavors of unix for a
number of years.  I have just downloaded and installed FC3 32-bit
2.5.9-1.667.  I checked the media before the install and it passed.
The installation experience was nice/easy and all seemed to go as
expected.  At the end of the installation process, I was prompted to
eject the cd and click a button to reboot.  I did this and the machine
hung on startup.  After waiting for 10 minutes or so, I rebooted again
(and several more times) and it always hangs in the same place.

This machine is an old Aptiva with a Pentium 350 with 128M RAM.  I
checked the hardware just before installing Fedora core by booting the
existing Windows 98 OS that was installed on it.  Win98 came up just
fine.  It is not dual boot - blew away *everything* on the hard drive
to install one new partition with Fedora core only.

Below are the messages shown on the screen at boot time:
--- snip ---
Booting 'Fedora Core (2.6.9-1.667)'
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet
  [Linux-bzImage, setup=0z1400, size=0x155da5]
initrd /initrd-2.6.9-1.667.img
  [Linux-initrd at 0x7ef3000, 0xecfed bytes]
--- snip ---

The above is all that is shown on the screen when the boot process
hangs.  If anyone has any suggestions on what I might want to do or
check, I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks much,
Ned