can't activate wireless

Chris Ruprecht chrisr at ruprecht.org
Sat Jan 1 20:56:28 UTC 2005

Jim,

run system-config-network and try to set up your network card again -
somehow this info must have gotten lost.

I have never used kwifimanager, so I don't know what happened when you
set up the router ... are you sure you configured the router and not the
local machine (making the local machine an access point)? I use my
browser to configure my AP (and have done so with every wireless router
or AP I have used in the past [Belkin, Proxim, Netgear]).
If you did this from the same machine, you are trying to connect from
right now, I'm positive that you didn't configure the AP but the laptop
to be the Public Access Point. Since you can't talk to the AP yet, how
would you configure it without connecting to it.
That would also explain to some extent, why your network card setup is
now messed up.

What you have to do is: enable the router as a DHCP server and let it
serve say 20 IP addresses in the same range as your network is.
Typically, your network is 192.168.0.0, the router is 192.168.0.1 and
has a WAN IP address assigned by your ISP (dynamic or static). Configure
the router to serve say 192.168.0.230 - 192.168.0.249 dynamically (never
use 192.168.0.255 - that's your broadcast address). The number of
addresses you want to assign dynamically really depends on how many
other wireless devices you have, plus a few spares in case some friends
come over and bring the laptops...

Best regards,
Chris

--
Don't ask me nothin' about nothin' - I might just tell you the
truth ...