X terminating suddenly without warning

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun Jan 2 05:03:18 UTC 2005

Chris Ruprecht wrote:
> Hi all and a Happy New Year!
>
> OS:		FC3 (updated to current)
> Graphics:	ATI Radeon Mobility
>
> X11 terminates from time to time (mostly at the least convenient moment,
> of course) without any warnings. One minute, I'm happily working, the
> next, the mouse freezes, then, a few seconds later, I get the Graphical
> login screen.
>
> I checked my X logs but they do not contain keywords like 'fatal' or
> 'error'.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Best regards,
> Chris

Try this link. It might give you a kernel that does not crash out on
you. For the entire message and thread, check the Fedora-test-list for
"New Year, New Test Kernel" thread. I have experienced similar errors
with the mouse not responding and having to kill X also with  Radeon
graphics card. I have not rebooted into the new test kernel yet to see
if it works better. I am getting ready to try it out though.

Jim

Link to kernels for FC3, soon to be in the repositories.

http://people.redhat.com/davej/kernels/Fedora/FC3/

--
Many people write memos to tell you they have nothing to say.