USB jump drive

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Sun Jan 2 05:35:06 UTC 2005

Gustavo Seabra wrote:

> Robert L Cochran wrote:
>
>> Dave Jones wrote:

>>> After a number of folks reported problems in bugzilla
>>> with the Lexar usb drives, and the sandisk ones, I went
>>> out and picked some up. I was somewhat disappointed that
>>> they both worked out of the box[1] for me.
>>>
>>> I considered that it may be usb controller specific, but
>>> I've used them both on a variety of USB1.1 and USB2.0 controllers.
>>>
>>>         Dave
>>>
>>> [1] where box = that evil plastic spacedevil packaging that has to be
>>>    opened with a variety of sharp tools.
>>>

>> Said box is a called a "clamshell" and I hate them. I'm surprised
>> that plastic shards have not cut someone's body open as the person
>> struggled to open a clamshell package, prompting said person to sue
>> the manufacturer for knowingly using packaging which is actually
>> dangerous to folks of all ages.
>>
>> Bob Cochran
>>
> I've been cut already, but never thought of suing. I thought one has
> to cut the finger off (or something else as serious as that) to have a
> case... am I wrong?

I wouldn't know. Perhaps you can consult a lawyer specializing in
product liability lawsuits to get an opinion. I haven't researched this
carefully, but remember when McDonald's and other hot coffee vendors
began printing the following warning label on disposable (stryofoam and
paper paper) coffee cups: "warning: this product is extremely hot" or
words to that affect. Wasn't that the result of a lawsuit from someone
who spilled hot coffee on himself or herself?

Bob