host name in fc

Robert Slade fedora at bathnetworks.com
Sun Jan 2 07:33:12 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-01-02 at 00:40, Danesh Daroui wrote:
> Peter Arremann wrote:
>
> >On Saturday 01 January 2005 16:22, Danesh Daroui wrote:
> >

> >>I did change host name in system-config-network, but it is not still in
> >>routers clients list and host name for my fedora machine is still blank,
> >>is it important at all ?
> >>Yeah, samba is installed in my LAN.
> >>

> >I don't see if you already answered the question, but are you using the router
> >as your dhcp and dns server right?
> >Windows automatically updates a dns server if set through dhcp with the name
> >(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q228803/) in such a configuration. Look at
> >the manpage of dhclient.conf - especially the DYNAMIC DNS section... that
> >setups the same in Linux.
> >
> >Peter.
> >

> Well, I think my router acts only as a DHCP server and not DNS server.
> However, its roll is a DNS proxy which re-send all DNS queries to my
> ISP's DNS server. If I am wrong please correct me.

I have a network that uses DHCP, and the server is a W2k machine. I have
noticed that a linux box does not work with W2k DHCP properly ( it gets
an IP but the DNS is not updated) and I have to allocate a static IP.
However a W2k or XP box does work with a Linux based DHCP (the DNS is
updated automatically). Don't know if this helps, but it looks like a
similar problem.

Rob