yum failure

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sun Jan 2 09:08:30 UTC 2005

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 10:34:01 +0200, Mustafa Orkun
<moblinux at myrealbox.com> wrote:
> > [root at localhost ~]# yum check-update
> > Repository updates-released already added, not adding again
> > Repository base already added, not adding again

in fc3  how yum is configured was re-organized.
a fresh install of fc3 will give you a  /etc/yum.conf that as NO
repository definitions
instead  the package named 'fedora-release' places individual .repo
files in /etc/yum.repos.d/

What you are seeing is most likely is the result of a custom yum.conf
that has duplicate entries to those provided in the files in
/etc/yum.repo.d/

> > Setting up Repo:  dries
> > Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository: dries
> > failure: repodata/repomd.xml from dries: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.

You need to check your dries entry to make sure its the correct url
for the yum used in fc3.
Note that the yum 2.1.x  uses a different serverside metadata
structure than yum 2.0.x.
If you are using a dries repository url meant for yum 2.0.x you might
need to use a different url for yum 2.1.x because of the changes.

here is what my working /etc/yum.repo.d/dries.repo file has:
[dries]
name=Extra Fedora rpms dries - $releasever - $basearch
baseurl=http://apt.sw.be/dries/fedora/linux/$releasever/$basearch/dries/RPMS/
enabled=0
gpgcheck=1

-jef