Boot hangs after fresh install

Darren Coleman daz at superficial.net
Sun Jan 2 12:02:12 UTC 2005

Hi,

I'm not sure if this will be any help to you really, I just thought I'd
share my experiences.

I too tried installing Fedora Core (2) on my "old" Linux PC, which is pretty
basic in terms of configuration - one hard drive, graphics card, Athlon
1.3Ghz Thunderbird processor, no sound card or other peripherals, 768Mb of
RAM.

After I had installed Fedora in exactly the same way as you and rebooted,
the boot process hung at exactly the same point.  I tried all kinds of
kernel boot parameters to no avail.

In the end, on a whim, I installed Red Hat 9 which worked flawlessly first
time.

I upgraded the kernel on my Red Hat 9 installation to a recent version of
the 2.6 kernel, a process I have done countless times on other systems, and
when I booted the new kernel it got stuck at exactly the same position as
Fedora Core did.  It wasn't kernel panic'ing or anything like that, it
wasn't even getting to the first step.

The only thing I could conclude was that there was some serious hardware
incompatibility between my system and the 2.6.x kernel.  From the sounds of
it you have the same problem.

I would be interested to know what your hardware configuration is so I can
compare it against mine, as I would like to install and use Fedora
successfully at some point.

Regards,

Darren