My Doom Worm

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 2 22:40:52 UTC 2005

sly wrote:
> Philip Moller wrote:
>
>> I have also got a nasty worm (Worm.Mydoom.M:)   from
>> *landsking at onemain.com
>

> how did you find it? i don't know much about worms and linux!

MyDoom is a Windows worm that has its own SMTP engine.  You can find
more information at www.symantec.com.  Look for the SARC links or you
should be able to search for the term.\

Fortunately, your Linux system is not susceptible to this worm, but you
could inadvertently send this worm onto your friends (well sort of)
running WindowsXX.  This is why we as Linux users should have a virus
checker on our systems.  I use the one that is provided by my ISP,
Earthlink.  They use a email scanner provided by Symantec.
Unfortunately, certain messages are not automatically deleted but placed
in quarrentine.

Also, on the Windows side of my system, I run AVG Free 7.0 with the
e-mail scanner and Zone Alarm's ZoneAlarm Firewall.  This stops most
baddies (no system can stop a really determined person wanting to get to
your data.)

James McKenzie