mplayer

Markus Huber humarfedoralists at yahoo.de
Sun Jan 2 23:32:26 UTC 2005

Jim wrote:

> if i try to install the mplayer from freshrpms, ( i have tried)  it
> fails dependancies
> 8 of them
> libaa.so.1
> libdvdread.so.3
> libfaad.so.0
> liblzo.so.1
> libmad.so.0
> libpostproc.so.0
> libpostproc
> libxvidcore.so.4

So you have to do some research how to use up2date, apt/synaptic or yum
and point to various alternative repositories (the libs you quote are
partly from DAG's repository - at least at my FC3).

I use apt/synaptics - because I have learnt how to keep FC3 quite
vanilla and not being hindred to point to alternative repositories.

My recommendation is: get apt and synaptic (the graphic front end for
apt) from freshrpms.net.

I attach my /etc/apt/sources.list and /etc/apt/preferences which you can
use as a model to configure yours (or just copy it) - I hope this is not
a breach of rules here in the list.

Then do a:
# apt-get update
# apt-get install mplayer mplayer-fonts mplayer-skins

All the dependencies will be resolved through apt.

Alternatively you can use synaptics - which is a very mighty graphical
front-end for apt.

It is not as complicated as it seems - and you will learn quite a lot
about FCX and alternative repositories as well.

--
Good luck and regards
Markus Huber