SSHD gone after C2 to C3 upgrade

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Sun Jan 2 23:42:50 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-01-02 at 18:19, Brian McDonald wrote:
> Brian McDonald wrote:

> I don't see any directories /.ssh/
> The only thing in the /var/log/secure is "Password failure for root"
> There is nothing about the failure in /var/log/messages
>
> Should I be looking at the sshd.config or the ssh.config
> does anyone have an example of the default config files.

Ah!  If you are trying to connect as root the files would be under
/root/.ssh most likely.

However, your sshd may be configured not to permit root logins.  You
would check this by looking at /etc/ssh/sshd_config.  There would have
to be a line in there for PermitRootLogin and/or an AllowUser line that
lists those users that can connect via ssh.

It is best if root is not allowed to login in via ssh.  Login as a
normal user then use su - to switch to root.  This not only provides
your system with better protection but also provides an audit trail of
who logged in and switched to root.

Also, please trim your posts.  :)

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

If the path be beautiful, let us not ask where it leads.
		-- Anatole France