Playing .vob files in xine/kaffeine

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Jan 3 03:34:54 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-01-02 at 19:32 -0500, Jim wrote:
> what are the switches you are using in xine?  are there ones for mplayer
> i just ran threw a few dvds and none of the play  they all end with .vob
> i keep getting a error    " seek failed"

I just did a full reinstall.
To get xine to play DVDs I installed the following (some already
installed, some added).  I am not sure all are needed, but with all
installed it works.

[jeff at goliath ~]$ rpm -qa \*xine\* \*dvd\*
libdvdcss-1.2.8-4.1.fc3.rf
streamdvd-0.4-1.1.fc3.rf
libdvdnav-devel-0.1.10-2.1.fc3.rf
libdvdplay-1.0.1-4.1.fc3.rf
libdvdcss-devel-1.2.8-4.1.fc3.rf
xine-lib-1.0.0-0.16.rc7.1.fc3.rf
dvdbackup-0.1.1-1.1.fc3.rf
dvd+rw-tools-5.21.4.10.8-2
libdvdread-devel-0.9.4-5.1.fc3.rf
libdvdplay-devel-1.0.1-4.1.fc3.rf
xine-0.99.2-1.1.fc3.rf
dvdauthor-0.6.10-1.1.fc3.rf
libdvdnav-0.1.10-2.1.fc3.rf
libdvdread-0.9.4-5.1.fc3.rf

to play the DVD I had to create a symlink for /dev/dvd
# ln -s /dev/hdc /dev/dvd  (your device name in place of hdc)

I also had to change permissions on /dev/hdc from 660 to 666.

This is with a fully updated FC3 install.

NOTE:  You do not need to read the DVD as a filesystem, nor attempt to
play the individual files.

Once all the above is done, I just launch xine from the command line,
select the dvd button, and watch the movie.

HTH

PS:  As Alexander has asked,  please - 1) do not top post, 2) strip
unneeded parts of the quote from your message, and 3) enjoy the fun of
Linux.