fc3-64 for a newby?

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 05:58:04 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 11:48:47 -0800 (PST), Jason Hiller
<jasonchiller at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I want to get some opinions on whether Fedora Core-64
> is a good choice for a Linux newby.  I have some
> experience w/ Linux but not a great deal.  I am going
> to buy a new computer and was considering getting a
> AMD-64 chip.  I am going to run Fedora Core
> exclusively on the new machine.  Is installing and
> running FC-64 within the grasp of a Linux beginner or
> should I stick with i386?  Are there any other
> drawbacks to going with FC-64 vs. FC-i386?  Any
> opinions are appreciated.  Also, if this is the wrong
> place to ask this type of question please redirect me.
>  Thanks in advance.

Hi Jason,
I'd say definitely go with an AMD64 chip and definitely go with the
64-bit version.  You should not really have any trouble with it more
than you would with the 32-bit version.  I'd say if you can do the
i386 version, you can do x86_64.  The only thing I have not been able
to do with FC x86_64 is use my (Broadcom) wireless with ndiswrapper
(it's a laptop), though this may be working in the near future.  For
anything that does not yet work with 64-bit, you can install the
32-bit and run it.  For instance, you can install 32-bit Firefox to
get flash and java plugins to work.  Most things work with 64-bit
though, and those that don't will in time.  If you have the disk
space, you can even dual boot the x86_64 and i386 versions.

Jonathan