MAX_ARG_PAGES

Stuart Lamble stu at gateway10.homeip.net
Mon Jan 3 06:37:48 UTC 2005

Hello FC users

I keep getting bash: Argument list too long when I parse a large list to a
command.
I have seen that this is because the OS needs to assign a larger buffer for
argv[].

I have changed this file /usr/include/linux/binfmts.h
It had a default line like...
#define MAX_ARG_PAGES 32    - this is 32 x 4kb page = 128kb total
I changed it to 256...
#define MAX_ARG_PAGES 256   - this is 256 x 4kb page = 1024kb total - should
be WAY MORE THAN ENOUGH!

The thing is, I boot the FC3 box, but the change does not seem to work.
Do I need to do something else to get this parameter initialized?

Many thanks
Stuart