hal blacklist

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Mon Jan 3 12:20:48 UTC 2005

On 01/03/2005 03:59:00 AM, HaJo Schatz wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-01-03 at 11:38 +0000, Michael A. Peters wrote:
>
> > Not sure it is hal to blame - but I don't want it automounted in
> /media
> > anyway.
>
> Can't you just shut down hald and see?

I might try that in the morning.
First I am going to try a different FireWire card, since I know of at
least one other person with a mini who uses it in Fedora at least
without reporting this problem - my FireWire is onboard A7N8X deluxe
which I know was quirky before (module would load but not work) so
maybe the driver in Linux isn't properly disconnecting - I have a
Belkin card in a dead Beige G3 that I will try tomorrow and see if that
works better.

> Yep, I know. It's there however very well hidden:
> http://people.redhat.com/davidz/hal/0.4/hal-spec.html

Thanks!

I'll definitely look at that tomorrow as well.

I don't _want_ it mounting in /media even if trying a new card does
resolve my issue with the disconnect - I want to use autofs because
it's trivial with autofs to only permit certain users to mount (specify
a group that is allowed to) - and then let gtkpod take care of the
mounting when it launches and unmounting when it exits. And if I just
want to charge the ipod, it doesn't need to mount at all.