Problem starting iptables on FC3

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Jan 3 18:55:33 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-03 at 12:10 -0600, fedora-list at jamesplace.net wrote:
> Thanks to both of you for the information. That will be very helpful.
>
> I see now I may have a different (minor) problem. The firewall is starting up
> properly after running the FWBuilder script. It is only the status that
> reports it is down, which is why I was trying to start myself.
>
> I am able to confirm it is working by adding logging options to rules, so I
> can see that activity is being logged in /var/log/messages.
>
> I guess my only real problem is that when I execute an: “/sbin/service
> iptables status” it always reports the status as “stopped”, even when it is
> working.

What displays when you do "# chkconfig --list iptables" ??

It should show as on for runlevels 2,3,4,5.  If not then you need to
enable the iptables service to auto start.
If you are not allowing the startup scripts to start it normally, the
file that the status command looks at will not show it as started.

To enable auto start and eliminate the status inconsistency, follow my
steps 1 & 2 of the prior message, then use the following commands
# chkconfig iptables on
# service iptables restart
finally
'# service iptables status' should then show as running, and from that
point on it will automatically load your rules as I noted previously.

HTH
Jeff